Marking the recent fourth anniversary of the Oceans Protection Plan, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, announced $64.9M in funding towards 15 projects that will improve sealift and re-supply services in the North, nine of which are in Nunavut, including:
• Building a new warehouse facility to organize and store cargo containers in Iqaluit;
• Improving sealift areas in nine communities;
• Replacing pipelines for fuel re-supply in 12; communities to increase petroleum transfer;
• Relocating equipment which transfers petroleum products further from the shore in nine communities;
• Installing two 70 tonne mooring bollards, used to anchor vessel, for sealift operations for Kugluktuk; and
• Procuring equipment to improve communication and documentation related to fuel re-supply operations.
More information can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/11/the-government-of-canada-invests-in-arctic-sealift-and-re-supply-operations-and-marks-the-fourth-anniversary-of-the-oceans-protection-plan.html